St. Francis Xavier Church (Narrowsburg, New York)

    It was in 1862 that Fr. Joseph Roesch, an Austrian priest who had been
appointed the first resident pastor of St. Mary's Church in Obernburg
(1854), built the first Catholic Church in Narrowsburg. It was called the
Church of St. Francis Xavier, in honor of the famed Jesuit missionary. He
also built churches in Ellenville, French Settlement, and Jeffersonville.
    About 1875, Fr. Gerald Huntmann, the first resident pastor at Callicoon,
assumed the spiritual and temporal care of a group of parishes that
extended the whole length of the Delaware Valley from Port Jervis to Long
Eddy. In 1878, Fr. Huntmann built a new church to accommodate a growing
number of communicants. Family names associated with the early days of
the church in Narrowsburg were Engelmann, Gebhart, Botens, Kirk, Koferl,
McHugh, Moran, Rinn, Smith, and Welsh. In 1892, Archbishop Corrigan of
New York asked the Franciscan Friars of Holy Name Province (NY) to take
over all the territory which Fr. Huntmann had attended while working in the
region.
     With the establishment of St. Joseph's Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon
(1901) more and more Franciscans Friars were able to serve the various
communities in Sullivan County. By the early 1920s, the Narrowsburg
congregation had grown threefold necessitating a new and larger church. In
1925, His Eminence Patrick Cardinal Hayes of New York dedicated the
present church. On June 14, 1932, Fr Cassian Kirk, O.F.M. became the first
native son of the area to be ordained to the priesthood in the Franciscan
Order. Sharing the joy of his First Solemn Mass was an aunt, Sister Teresita
of the Sisters of St. Joseph who, in 1892, became the first girl from
Narrowsburg to enter the religious life. In five years time, we will be
celebrating out 150th anniversary.

Our Lady of the Lake Church (Lake Huntington, New York)

   Though the Franciscan Friars had served the Cochecton-Lake Hunting
community since the late 19th century, it was only in 1920 that Fr. Sylvester
Herold, O.F.M. built the present church. The official title of the church is
Stella Maris, but is has always been better known as Our Lady of the
Lake
, a name well suited to the well-chosen site, about 200 yards from the
lake. Franciscan Fathers from St. Joseph Seminary in Callicoon were
assigned to take care of the church. In 1959, St. Francis Xavier Church in
Narrowsburg burg was made an independent parish with several missions,
including that of Our Lady of the Lake.

History of the
Parish


Church of St. Francis
Xavier
151 Bridge Street
Narrowsburg NY
12764

(click here for map)